Resident Evil 2 introduces players to Leon Kennedy; a Raccoon City rookie policeman; and Claire Redfield; a tough heroine in search of her brother. Players can control either Leon or Claire as they explore the entire Raccoon City locale with its huge 3D environments and swarms of terrifying creatures of the undead.
- Resident Evil 2 boasts the following features:
- Zap System – Intricate sub-plots weave together to create multiple game play scenarios. Players complete the game once play it again as the other character and ultimately experience a different game from the first.
- Rookie Mode – Designed for novice players this mode starts the player off with the three most powerful weapons in the game (rocket launcher submachine gun and gattling gun) and unlimited ammunition.
- Damage indicators – As characters take on more and more damage it becomes increasingly difficult to escape from zombies. Players will see their character limp stumble and cringe from wounds and injuries.
- Hidden Characters – Play as Tofu and 4th Survivor in bonus mini games that can be accessed if the player completes and meets specific requirements.
- Hidden extreme battle mode – Offers three selectable levels with random enemy and item placement and four playable characters.
- Heightened interaction with game environments mutant beasts an arsenal of new weapons and more mind-boggling puzzles.